The Know It All Mom considers creative non-fiction and personal essays for publication in the new, Guest Blogger, section of the site. If you would like to be a featured guest blogger, this is what you need to do:
- Email your story ideas or any completed pieces that have NOT yet been published elsewhere to email@example.com.
- Type the word SUBMISSION and your WORD COUNT in the subject line of your email, otherwise your work might just get lost in the plethora of email that finds it’s way to me, and that would be sad. Currently, I am accepting creative non-fiction or personal essays only. Although I love to read poetry, short stories, and most genres of fiction, The Know It All Mom is not the place for these children to find a home.
- Keep submissions between 500–800 words, please. Longer pieces may be considered, but only if the content cannot possibly be covered effectively without saying more. If you are anything like me, you would much rather edit your own writing than let someone else start making slashes with their grubby red pen, so please do it: 500 words is great, 800 max.
- On that note, expect to be edited somewhat for content, clarity and/or tone. This is in no way an indication that you are not a talented, gifted individual with the literary genius of Jane Austen, but rather a simple fact that it’s my blog, I like what I like, and I reserve the right to post things only after I am 100% satisfied.
- Do not send attachments. Please copy and paste your submission into the body of your email. Attachments can be cumbersome. They don’t open, they lose formatting, and are generally a pain in the butt. Pasting text directly into your email simplifies everything. Attachments will not be opened. Thank you in advance.
- Make sure your work is thematically consistent with The Know It All Mom. To understand who I am and the mandate behind my blog, the About Me page is an excellent place to start. Note that I prefer anecdotal, personal stories of life as a mother/woman/wife/daughter/sister/friend/parent. Itemized How-To or Top-Ten-type lists are NOT my favourite. I’d rather read how you developed the list than the list itself. I like honesty. I like writing that comes from the heart with a straight-forward, no-nonsense approach. I do not like self-indulgence. This is a fine line to walk, I know. I tip-toe along it every time I sit down to compose something. Still, it must be done. I like people with opinions, even opinions I do not share. Disagreement is essential to dialogue, so take a stand and tell me what you think. If you can make me laugh, great! If you can make me cry, that’s good, too. Familiarize yourself with the types of stories I am interested in by reading some of my posts, e.g., Confession Time, Coming from a Place of Yes, or One Joint is One Too Many, or better yet, read some of my published pieces found here: Writing. If you are still in doubt, email anyway. The worst that can happen is that I say, ‘No,’ but it I will say it gently, I promise.
- Do not expect an immediate response. I will respond to you, but as we all know, “Life is what happens while we’re making other plans.” (John Lennon said that, I think…anyone know?) In other words, I plan to get back to everyone as quickly as I can, regardless of the outcome of your submission, but after the realities of my day-to-day life as a wife, mother, chauffeur, chef, laundress, professional woman, blogger, wannabe writer, and Martha Stewart-esque home-maker (wink!), have been managed.
- Currently, I do not pay for pieces that I publish. Someday I hope to, but right now, not so much. However, I will do my darnedest to promote you and your work through social media or any other means at my disposal. And of course, if you promote your link to your network of readers too, that would be great.
Thank you for considering The Know It All Mom as a potential home for your creative efforts. I know what it’s like to pour your heart out in words and then to put yourself out there for scrutiny; I will do my best to make it as painless and rewarding as possible.